Maryland Primary Care Physicians (MPCP) was established in 1996 when the doctors of two well-established primary care groups, Bay Area Primary Care Physicians and LMC Medical Group, merged their practices in Anne Arundel and Queen Anne’s Counties. In early 1997 the Howard Medical Group, one of Howard County’s most prestigious group practices, joined MPCP. This merger propelled the group to regional prominence, which we continue to enjoy today. The key to our success is the fact that our doctors are the owners of the business, and are committed to providing high quality medical care and building long term relationships with the families we serve. As a fully-owned physician’s enterprise, MPCP has successfully positioned itself to provide strong leadership in the constantly changing health care environment and is one of the most progressive, comprehensive community-focused medical groups in the state of Maryland.
In the planning stages of MPCP, a significant strategic decision was made by our leadership team determining that there was a need for an affiliated management services organization that would enable us to enjoy best practices in administration, financial management, human resources, and state-of-the-art information systems and billing capabilities. Therefore in 1996 Physicians Management Group (PMG) was launched simultaneously with MPCP. This on-going strategic alliance allows our physicians to focus on delivery of outstanding care to patients, while our practices’ daily administrative tasks are handled by business specialists at PMG’s centralized location.
Where We Are Now
Today MPCP owns and operates 10 individual medical practices in four counties, including Anne Arundel, Howard, Prince George’s and Queen Anne’s. We have over 70 board certified providers, including physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners in the fields of family practice, internal medicine, geriatrics, and cardiology. Their efforts are supported by an additional 280 clinical and business staff members, bringing the total staff to over 350 employees.
What Sets Us Apart • Our practices enjoy a reputation for superior clinical expertise, treating approximately 130,000 patients last year during 300,000 clinical visits. Our doctors are experienced, averaging 25 years in practice, and are often recognized professionally for medical expertise, and by our patients for the quality of care we provide.
- MPCP is also expanding the ancillary services we provide to our patients. We have a state-of-the-art, full service laboratory accredited through the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA) under the Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS). This laboratory conducts over 2 million clinical tests annually and is a multiple recipient of the coveted COLA Laboratory Excellence Award with quality testing scores regularly exceeding 99%.
- Today, MPCP is at the forefront of new medical frontiers, such as Meaningful Use (MU) and Patient Centered Medical Home (PCMH). We have integrated a state-of-the-art information system, capable of efficiently processing and storing all of the practices’ clinical and financial information. This software allows our doctors to instantly store and access all clinical information, resulting in enhanced patient care, safety and confidentiality.
- At MPCP, quality is continuously monitored to ensure that each doctor provides the best medical care to every patient. Our goal of providing top-notch care in the most efficient manner possible is achieved by standardizing clinical processes and measuring clinical outcomes through an innovative peer review process.
- MPCP accepts most major insurances—Aetna, CIGNA, CareFirst, Medicare, UnitedHealthcare/MAMSI — just to name a few. New alliances are continually being formed, providing our patients with a wide array of health insurance options. Precise and professional administration and billing processes with insurers are MPCP core competencies resulting in fewer errors and delays.
- MPCP has developed a comprehensive and innovative approach to the federal Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and is fully compliant with all of its regulations.
- Finally, giving back to the community is also one of our core values. Our doctors have responded to world-wide needs and catastrophic events, such as helping hurricane Katrina and tsunami victims, and mission trips. Many of our doctors volunteer regularly at homeless shelters, high school sports programs, and other charitable initiatives within our communities. MPCP also contributes annually to a wide array of medically linked, community-based non-profit organizations, as well as supporting our employees as they participate in charitable fund raising events.
Thanks to Maryland Primary Care Physicians unique medical practice model, our 31 physician owners are a driving force in the development of innovative and responsive patient care delivery systems. MPCP’s sophisticated and successful clinical and business practices are improving the health and well being for our patients, partners, providers and employees. This outstanding combination of people and processes has resulted in MPCP’s acknowledged stature as one of the premier medical groups in Maryland.